Tuesday 3 July 2012

Is the format of the WWE Championship match at Money in the Bank a good idea?

Since there is no longer any brand extension the question a lot of people were pondering was how would Money in the Bank work this year? It has been revealed that there are two matches as in previous years, but instead of being branded Raw and Smackdown one is for the WWE Championship and one is for the World Heavyweight Championship.

It was announced by interim GM for last week Vickie Guerrero (this week its Teddy Long) that the WWE championship Money in the Bank match would be made up of former WWE champions only. We already know 4 of the participants - Kane, Chris Jericho, Big Show and John Cena. 
The question is, who else?? Why have a ladder match between 4 participants when MitB is usually at least 6 participants.

The only previous champions still on the roster are : The Miz, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and Triple H. I think we can count Hunter out completely due to his commitments with Brock. Alberto and Sheamus are tied up with each other and unless there is a swerve in their match neither of those are in. Randy's suspension isn't over until end of July, The Miz is still filming so unless they rush him back it is unlikely that he'll be in.

Which bring us to Rey Mysterio. His suspension is over, and it seems only a matter of time before they bring him back. Perfect gateway to get him on tv, although with the current entrants I'm not wholly sure that he would fit in nor am I sure that I particularly want him back.

So the question that brought me to write this is, is the restriction a good idea? I like it, it is a new twist on what could have been a particularly difficult MitB year. My main worry is that if it stays at four participants, no matter how good they are the match will just fall flat. The highlight of MitB is the MAD bumps and mega spots. With four it's just doesn't seem quite right. Maybe it'll all work out and I'll be proven wrong, I want to be! I'm excited to see what Cena can do and since Jericho is the creator he'll be just fine. I'm not worried about Kane either since he's succeeded before. Big Show worries me slightly but maybe he's the one to watch.

So what do you think? How is this all going to pan out? Will it be a triumph or a flat out failure?

No comments:

Post a Comment